Friday, February 6, 2009

And the Prize for Beating a Dead Horse Goes To...

Dear World-Wide Media Outlets,

Yes, I am aware that 23 year old swimming phenomenon Michael Phelps was photographed smoking pot.

I am also aware that:
  • He owned up to it.
  • He apologized for it.
  • He admitted that it set a bad example for the kids who look up to him.


Can we please move on and focus on THIS?

Thank you.
Love,
Newlywed Wife
(Oh, and by the way, I was a competitive swimmer for 5 1/2 years. Really, I could care less about what Michael Phelps chooses to do with his free time, as long as it is not physically endangering someone else. I'd much rather hear about him breaking another world record. Why don't you go back to reporting about Amy Winehouse, or someone who actually has a problem with very dangerous drugs?)
EDITED TO ADD: This is in no way meant to imply that I condone usage of any illegal drug. I've never even smoked a cigarette, let alone pot, or anything else. I simply think it's a bit ridiculous to focus so much energy and attention on something that is - in the grand scheme of things - pretty minor.
EDITED AGAIN TO ADD: This is even stupider than the world-wide media frenzy. (I know that 'stupider' isn't a word. I just felt like it fit this particular situation.)

4 comments:

Mrs.Preppy said...

I agree.... He just got caught doing something a zillion other people have done.

Kelli said...

I can't agree with you anymore!!

Lindsey said...

AGREED!!!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I totally agree.. any sponsor who drops him for this just dropped me too. I mean seriously, he works hard, he plays hard.. and he owns up to any mistakes he makes. He IS a role model!