Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day Recap!

I didn't expect anything for Valentine's Day from Newlywed Husband... the poor dear has worked day and night for the past month, suffered through a nasty stomach virus, and dealt with a slightly hysterical wife through the "Office Space-style" craziness of the past week.

We didn't even make plans for Valentine's Day, opting instead to play it by ear...probably meaning stay in and order pizza from Campisi's...blech.

Friday around 7:00 pm I'm being an exceptional wife, drinking my second glass of merlot chopping potatoes for dinner and planning to fold some laundry while I wait on Newlywed Husband to get home.

Out of nowhere, I hear the strains of "How sweet it is to be loved by you..." wafting through the air, and turn around to face Newlywed Husband holding THIS!!!



Oh yes, sweet readers, that IS in fact, a singing balloon. And flowers. And a teddy bear. And chocolates (Yes I already ate them all, don't judge me). And a sweet card that made me cry like a baby.

I LOVED it!

Winston, however, was quite disenchanted with the giant singing balloon. That plus the festive bow that Mommy made him wear on his collar made him so nervous that I think he may have developed a twitch. Poor guy.

(Isn't he just the handsomest little chap, though?)



Saturday I gave Newlywed Husband his Valentine's Day present when he got home from work (Shouldn't Valentine's Day be a holiday from work? Like Christmas?) Nervousness set in long before he unwrapped it - this is the first time I have ever bought a tie for Newlywed Husband...and he's quite particular about his ties. Thankfully, I know he likes several brands in specific, so I just walked into the store and asked where the Ferragamo ties were.
He loved it, though (of course :) I found the tie at Nordstrom Rack (on sale - yay!) - but here is a similar tie at Nordstrom online:
Then, instead of fighting the crowds at a fancy restaurant, we opted for an old favorite at their Northpark Mall location. We sat at the bar, had exceptional service, a glass of champagne (me), and split a piece of Cuatro Leches cake for dessert. (If you've never had La Duni Cuatro Leches cake...I pity you. Really, I do. But not too much, because that leaves more cake for me.)

After our delicious dinner we went to see Taken, starring Liam Neeson and a bunch of other actors I don't know. Taken is a high-speed action movie, which was the perfect choice for us, as Newlywed Husband has the attention span of a fruit fly when it comes to romantic comedys and chick flicks. I'd highly recommend it, there was just a little bit of humor, lots of great action scenes, and a great plot - which is probably why the theatre was completely full - every single seat!




All in all? I think it was a fabulous 1st Valentine's Day - don't you agree?

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Yes I think it was a fabulous Valentine's Day indeed! You guys are so sweet and I love the singing balloon idea!

Anonymous said...

How sweet of your honey. As for your pup, he may be disenchanted, but he sure is adorable!

TexanCouture said...

Very cute! I love Surprises!

In This Wonderful Life said...

sounds like a GREAT valentine's!!! :) Happy Monday! xoxo

Jen McCrady said...

p.r.e.c.i.o.u.s.

ry's very very very picky about his ties too... so i applaud you for even attempting that one! i'm too chicken.

love you friend!

Aliya said...

SINGING balloons?!?! who knew!?! :)

The Shabby Princess said...

That is a fabulous Valentine's Day! I spent mine dining with Cinderella. Not romantic, but, very fun.