Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Now On My Nightstand...

There's been a huge surge of young adult fantasy literature of late (hello Twilight!), but I've failed to be impressed by anything - nothing quite measures up to my beloved Chronicles of Narnia.

Harry Potter is well written but the whole witch/wizard thing kind of throws me off.

I just can't bring myself to read the Twilight books because the mental picture of Robert Pattinson icks me out (There's scruffy and then there's for heaven's sakes buy a razor already! He is the latter).

Artemis Fowl is too hard to get into, and a tinge violent for my taste.

Enter: The Lightning Thief.

{Confession time: I decided to read this book because it was $3.98 at 1/2 Price Books - an offer I couldn't pass up.}



The Lightning Thief is the first book in a trilogy about young Percy Jackson, who is a (fairly) ordinary kid (he thinks). Plagued by dislexia and ADHD, Percy has never fit in with other kids. The book ties Greek mythology and modern-day marvels (St. Louis Arch, World Trade Center) together with a dose of humor as well (who knew the entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles? :)

Read it!

No comments: